+ How much does Outdoor Retailer cost?
Please note that you must qualify to attend.
Retailer / Buyer, Importer / Distributor, Designer / Developer
- Early Bird (until 05/18/23): FREE
- Pre-Show (until 06/18/23): $20
- Onsite (starting 06/19/23): $40
Independent Rep, Working Media, Nonprofit, Government
Non-Buyer / Consultant, Non-Exhibiting Brand, Service Provider, Media Sales
- Early Bird (until 05/18/23): $700
- Pre-Show (until 06/18/23): $800
- Onsite (starting 06/19/23): $900
To help defray costs for attending, Retail Buyers (only) may apply for the Outdoor Retailer Hosted Buyer Program. If you are a specialty outdoor, action sports, or snow sports retail buyer in need of assistance to attend or are looking to expand your presence at the show,apply for a scholarship here.
Each application is vetted on a case-by-case basis. Application is not a guarantee of approval, and you will be contacted if approved. Contact our attendee relations team for more details.
+ Where and when are the Outdoor Retailer tradeshows held?
Salt Palace Convention Center
100 S W Temple St, Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Summer—June 19-21, 2023
Winter—November 14-16, 2023
+ What are Outdoor Retailer’s show hours?
Summer—June 19-21, 2023
Monday, June 19: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.*
Tuesday, June 20: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.*
Wednesday, June 21: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.*
*7 – 9 a.m. by appointment only. Retailer buyers must be escorted to the show floor with an exhibitor.
+ Are any Outdoor Retailer shows open to the public?
No, Outdoor Retailer is not open to the public. Only authorized buyers and members of the trade will be admitted. Buyer qualifications are subject to Outdoor Retailer approval. Read the credentials requirements here.
+ Can I bring my dog?
Yes, you can bring your dog to Outdoor Retailer. All owners must register their dog onsite (dogs get badges too) and sign a waiver stating that your dog is current on all shots and will remain leashed at all times when in the convention center or at the demo.
+ Does it cost to attend the on-site seminars?
No; education at Outdoor Retailer is complimentary. You must have a show badge.
+ How long has Outdoor Retailer been around?
Since 1982. Our first show was a Summer Market in Las Vegas, Nevada. We moved to Anaheim in 1984, Long Beach in 1985, Reno in 1988, Salt Lake City in 1996 and Denver in 2018. The first Winter Market debuted in 1990 in Salt Lake City and stayed through 2017, with a short break for the Winter Olympics in 2002 when the show was in Anaheim. The January 2018 show, Outdoor Retailer + Snow Show, was the first time in nearly 30 years that the outdoor and snow industries were together under one roof, also in Denver. In 2023, Outdoor Retailer returned to Salt Lake.
+ Who are Outdoor Retailer's approved vendors?
Please be aware that you may receive solicitations from companies that are NOT affiliated with Emerald Expositions or Outdoor Retailer. The information below will help alert you to such companies. If you have any doubts about a solicitation using the Outdoor Retailer name (for example, the solicitation requires payment made to an address in a foreign country), please contact your sales person or Attendee Relations.
Below is a list of the official, approved vendors who we work with:
a2z/Personify – Official Show Planner/Floorplan Vendor
BEST Crowd Management – Booth Security Vendor
Centerplate – Catering/Food/Beverage Vendor
Community Commerce – List Rental
Encore – Audio/Visual
EventSphere – Official Housing Vendor
Experient – Official Registration Vendor
Freeman – Official Decorator
Marsh/Total Event Insurance – Insurance Vendor
MGE – Lead Retrieval
+ Terms & Conditions
- Attendee grants Emerald the right to use Attendee’s name, image and likeness, including but not limited to any photographs or video taken of you at the show, for marketing purposes.
- ATTENTION: Exhibitors and Sponsors at Outdoor Retailer may utilize badge scanning in order to follow up with you after the show. Please be aware that by permitting an exhibitor/sponsor to scan your badge, your contact information including address, email, phone & fax will be shared with the exhibitor/sponsor, and Outdoor Retailer will no longer be in control of how your information is used. Questions or concerns? Email email@example.com.
- Emerald reserves the right to accept, reject or prohibit registration for or attendance at its events at any time for any reason.
- Attendee expressly assumes, and releases Emerald and any affiliates from, all risks, claims, damages, losses, costs and expenses, whether or not reasonably foreseeable, associated with, resulting from or arising in connection with Attendee’s participation, presence or sampling of any products at the Event, including, without limitation, all risks of harm, damage, illness (including viruses or illness from any communicable disease or from any sampled products) or injury (including death) to or related to Attendee and his or her person or property.
- Attendee expressly agrees to fully comply with applicable CDC COVID-19 health and safety measures and protocols for attendance at Outdoor Retailer. Currently, CDC recommends that fully vaccinated individuals may resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by applicable government regulations. Therefore, vaccinated Attendees are encouraged but not required to wear masks at Outdoor Retailer. If Attendee is not fully vaccinated, then Attendee agrees to wear a face mask at all times and maintain appropriate social distance at Outdoor Retailer. If needed, Emerald will have limited face masks available for those attendees who do not bring their own masks to the event. Emerald reserves the right to remove any attendee from the event for failure to adhere to the required COVID-19 health and safety measures and other protocols for attendance at the event.
- By agreeing to these Terms and Conditions, you confirm that you have reviewed and agree to the https://www.emeraldx.com/privacy-policy/.
+ Who is my Account Executive?
Your sales contact is based on location. Please visit the Exhibit / Inquire page to see the sales map.
+ I'm new to the show. Where do I apply?
Please tell us more about your brand and an Account Executive will get in contact with you.
+ Where can I register to attend as a Retail Buyer?
Please view our registration page for registration details and credential requirements.
+ Where can I find hotel information?
Please visit our housing page to inquiry about a room(s) in our retailer block.
+ Where can I find the education schedule?
The education schedule is typically ready and available a month and a half before the show. Please click here for our most up-to-date education schedule and information.
+ Is there an exhibitor list and floor map available?
Access the exhibitor list and floorplan.
+ Is there anyone I can talk to for more questions about the show?
Attendee Relations Manager
Attendee Relations Specialist
+ What if my retailers are not attending?
If retailers in your territory are not attending the show, please reach out to the Attendee Relations team to inquire about retailer scholarships.
Attendee Relations Manager
+ How do I get my agency registered as an independent rep and not just as an exhibitor?
Please click on the registration link and select the independent rep registration option. If you run into any issues, please reach out to the Attendee Relations team.
+ Will I be able to enter the show floor prior to show hours with an independent rep badge?
Yes. As an independent rep, you will have access to the show floor prior to show hours.
+ How do I get my agency into the housing block?
Click here to book a room(s) for your agency in our rep housing block. If you run into any issues, please reach out to Eventsphere directly at (877) 414-7918, or contact the Attendee Relations team:
Attendee Relations Manager
+ Is there a store list from previous shows for my territory?
Please click here to access Outdoor Retailer’s verified store list.
+ Is there a way to find out what stores from my territory are pre-registered?
Please contact the Attendee Relations team for an up-to-date pre-registered store list.
Attendee Relations Manager
+ I would like to attend Outdoor Retailer as media; what do I need to know?
Outdoor Retailer is open to trade and consumer-focused media outlets including print, TV, radio and online, industry analysts, as well as any writer, photographer or editor with an editorial assignment related to outdoor products and the outdoor industry. We have two media badge types: Working Media and Media Sales. Working Media must have a current editorial assignment while media sales attendees include ad sales, publishers, producers, marketing staff, promotion companies, casting directors, film makers and agencies – social media / PR / advertising/ brand / creative.
+ How do I register as “Working Media”?
Please determine which type of working media you are, prepare the required documentation (see the credentials requirements and answers below) and log in to our registration system to complete your registration.
+ Magazine and Newspaper Editorial Staff
Please provide at least TWO credentials:
- A scanned copy of the publication masthead including your name and title
- A scanned copy or link to original, bylined editorial work within the last three months, showing coverage within the outdoor industry
- An email or scan of original letter on assigning publication’s letterhead from the assigning editor or news director detailing a specific assignment at the show
+ TV: Reporters / Camera Crews / Photographers
Please provide a letter from the news director or assignment editor on station/network letterhead saying that you have been assigned to represent the organization in an editorial capacity at Outdoor Retailer. AND at TWO credentials:
- A station issued, current press photo I.D.
- A business card from a major network reflecting your editorial role
Coverage must be done independently and not solicited by exhibiting companies. Please note that any TV staff registering onsite will need to provide all documentation.
+ Staff Photographers / Photo Editors
Please provide a scanned copy or link to the publication masthead that includes your name and title OR a letter from the news director or assignment editor on station/network or publication letterhead saying that you have been assigned to represent the organization in an editorial capacity at Outdoor Retailer. Coverage must be done independently and not solicited by exhibiting companies.
+ Freelance Writers / Photographers / Photo Editors
Please provide both of the following:
- An email or scanned original letter on assigning network/outlet/publication’s letterhead from assigning editor or news director with a writing assignment detailing a specific coverage assignment at the show.
- Scanned or linked examples of your published, bylined editorial work in the last three months in assigning publication within the outdoor industry.
Coverage must be done independently and not solicited by exhibiting companies.
+ What if I don’t have an assignment?
Media without a current outdoor-industry related assignment will not be approved for a Working Media badge, but are welcome to join us with a Media Sales badge.
+ I have a website or blog; can I attend as Working Media?
We welcome digital publications, but to be considered for a Working Media badge, you must have a previously established, independent site that is updated at least biweekly with original, industry-related news. The site must have a proven track record showing coverage of the outdoor space for at least one year. YouTube, Facebook, Twitter sites, personal blogs, forums, crowd sourcing sites and users groups will not be considered for Working Media accreditation, but can apply for Media Sales badges.
+ Can I register for a media badge onsite at the show?
Yes, media may register onsite during published registration hours. Outdoor Retailer will have a representative onsite to review and qualify registering media. Please note that travel to the show does not guarantee admittance.
+ What is the difference between “Working Media” and “Media Sales” badges?
Working Media badges indicate to exhibitors and retailers that the person has a current editorial assignment with a relevant publication. Media Sales badges indicate the wearer is in ad sales, publishing, production, marketing, promotion, a casting director, film maker or from an agency – social media / PR / advertising/ brand / creative.
+ What is the Media Preview?
The Media Preview an exclusive opportunity for journalists with Working Media badges to see the newest products at Outdoor Retailer the day before the show opens. It’s also your chance to build relationships with brands at the show in a much more focused, one-on-one environment. The Media Preview happens the day before each show; please see each show’s media page for more information.
+ How do I find out which brands are at the show?
Each show is slightly different, but you can use our exhibitor list, floorplan and mobile app to see what brands are attending which shows.
+ Who do I contact for information about Outdoor Retailer?
Please contact Lisa Ramsperger for any media inquiries related to Outdoor Retailer.
+ What is Outdoor Retailer’s camera policy?
Outdoor Retailer allows accredited Working Media to take photos in exhibitor booths only with the permission of the exhibitor. Outdoor Retailer allows limited video and still camera use on the show floor. If you intend to take photos at the show, you must first visit the Media Registration desk to obtain a photography sticker for your badge. Under no circumstances will anyone be permitted to take pictures of an exhibitor’s product without permission from the exhibitor. Many products on display at Outdoor Retailer are innovative, one-of-a-kind prototype items. Exhibitors have the right to refuse the taking of pictures in their booths. UNAUTHORIZED PHOTOS WILL BE CONFISCATED (along with DEVICE). THE OFFENDER’S BADGE WILL BE PULLED AND THEY WILL BE BLACKLISTED FROM ATTENDING FUTURE SHOWS.
+ Are any Outdoor Retailer shows open to the public?
No, Outdoor Retailer is not open to the public. Only authorized buyers and members of the trade will be admitted. As a respected industry event, we can only register qualified retail buying businesses in the outdoor industry. Buyer qualifications are subject to Outdoor Retailer approval, as outlined in the registration credentials.
+ I have attended in the past, do I need to register again and if so, why?
Yes, each individual must register for each event separately to ensure that we have the most current and accurate information.
+ I have attended in the past, but I cannot find my information in your registration system; what do I do?
If you have not registered as an approved attendee within the last two (2) years, you will be pended and need to submit business credentials. Other reasons include spelling, name changes, email changes, etc… If you are unable to find your record in the system, you will need to resubmit your business credentials.
+ I need to submit business credentials; what documents do I need?
You will need to submit at least TWO of the following:
- Volume purchase invoices of FINISHED brand name goods in the outdoor industry, placed within the last six months
- A business card that includes your name, your company name and current business address
- A business license indicating you are retail business. Please do NOT send a tax ID or sellers permit; these are not valid credentials and will not complete your registration.
- For new businesses, only: A letter of intent from an attorney or bank on official letterhead stating what type of business you intend to start.
+ I’m attending to purchase raw materials; how do I register?
If you design for a specific manufacturer or work as a freelance designer, please register as a “Designer.” Attendees with “Designer” badges are required to register online for each show and submit a minimum of TWO of the credentials below. If your primary job is not that of a product designer or if you cannot provide the required information, you will need to re-register as a non-buyer.
- A business card that includes your name, a product design title, your company name and current business address
- Invoices for raw materials made within the last six months and invoiced to your current company
- A credit reference sheet of suppliers for raw materials
- A business card that includes job title
- A job invoice made within the last six months for product design work completed for a brand in the outdoor industry
- A contract and/or job agreement with a brand in the outdoor industry. Please provide contact information for the brand representative for a reference check.
- A letter of intent from a brand in the outdoor industry for a freelance product designer position. Please provide contact information for the brand representative for reference check.
+ I completed my registration and did not receive a confirmation email, what should I do?
Please log back on to the registration page and search for your record. If your record indicates your status is “pending” or “already registered,” email: OTRSnow@maritz.com to confirm that we have the correct email address and ask to have your confirmation resent.
+ I completed my registration and submitted my business credentials; when will I receive my approval confirmation?
You will be notified via email within 7-10 business days with your confirmation or a request for more information.
+ I am bringing someone with me; do they need a badge?
All attendees of Outdoor Retailer must be qualified and registered for a badge. Children of qualified attendees are allowed and must be registered for a badge as well. Outdoor Retailer is a business to business trade event and is not open to the public. Please make sure that anyone you bring is a qualified attendee as well and will need to provide credentials, as outlined here.
+ How do I add more staff to my store/company once I’m registered and qualified?
Register your additional staff just as you registered originally. If you are registering them as a first-time buyer, you must submit their credentials.
+ What if I want a refund for my registration?
Registration for Outdoor Retailer is non-refundable. No exceptions.
+ Can I bring my dog?
Yes, you can bring your dog to Outdoor Retailer and to the demo. All owners must register their dog onsite (dogs get badges too) and sign a waiver stating that your dog is current on all shots and will remain leashed at all times when in the convention center or at the demo.